Sunday Night Anxiety. You know what I’m talking about. It rolls in after around 4 pm on a Sunday.
Suddenly it’s no longer Sunday. It’s ‘Smonday’.
Monday morning is looming over you and dread, fear and nervousness start to creep in.
A mixture of more alcohol and less sleep at the weekend, a fear of the unknown about the coming week and the prospect of returning to your stressful job can all make your Sunday night anything but relaxing.
It’s hardly surprising then that visitors to www.calmer-you.com peak on a Sunday evening!
But ‘Sunday night anxiety’ doesn’t need to be a thing.
Here are my top tips for beating it:
– Do not, I repeat, DO NOT read your work emails. No.
– Read a novel in the bath. It’s both relaxing AND distracts your brain from worrying about the coming week.
– Call a friend. Sunday night is a great time to catch up with people because often people are at home and you can chat about your weekend. Talking through your concerns with a friend, or just having some lighthearted chit-chat to distract yourself, could work wonders.
– If you’re really worried, make a worry list. When you write down your worries, you get them out and down on paper and hopefully a bit more in perspective. You can ‘brain dump’ worries into a notepad to return to in the morning, if you must.
– Much of the anxiety is caused by imagining things on Monday morning going badly. Instead, use your imagination as a force for good by visualising the week going well. Imagine yourself handling any challenges, feeling relaxed and enjoying your week. After all, studies show that 85% of the things we worry about end up having positive outcomes.
What tips do you have for managing Sunday night anxiety? Let us know in the comments.