Last weekend after a particularly busy week (it’s January and everyone seems to need my services to help with their New Years resolutions!) I was feeling a bit ‘buzzy’ and hyped up. I knew I needed to take some steps to calm myself down and relax.
One thing I’ve noticed about people with anxiety, through my own experience with anxiety and working with clients with anxiety everyday, is this; They tend not to take very good care of themselves sometimes. Does this ring any bells for you?
Often, when we’re anxious, but put a lot of pressure on ourselves; a lot of ‘should’s’ and ‘musts’ and ‘oughts’ go on. Perhaps you put very high expectations on yourself, perhaps you want things to be perfect, maybe you have a fear of failure or of doing something wrong. Maybe you’re very self critical.
Whatever the issue or root cause is, I think all of us could benefit from taking a bit better care of ourselves.
But isn’t that selfish?! Indulgent? A waste of time? No!
When you take the time to look after yourself and put yourself first, you are ensuring that you are your best self, for yourself, for those you love and for your work. There’s nothing selfish about that.
If you’re running yourself ragged and burning out, how can you best help others? How can you do your job to the best of your ability? How can you show up for yourself fully in your life and enjoy it to the maximum?
It’s time to take a stand!
I suggest scheduling in time for self care and treating that time with the same importance and reverence that you would an important business meeting.
Try to do something at least once a week to take care of yourself; here are some ideas.
- Go for a massage. If cash is an issue, check out a Groupon deal, enlist a friend or partner, or give yourself a massage. I love this facial massage routine my Youtuber Oxford Jasmine – so relaxing! My favourite facial massage oil is trilogy Certified Organic Rosehip Oil – I’ve bought it for a few of my friends as presents.
- Buy yourself some flowers. Having flowers on my desk helps to remind me that the world is indeed a beautiful place! Again, if you’re strapped for cash, get some flowers at a market as they tend to be cheaper. I love Columbia Road Flower Market in Bethnal Green in London. I also have some beautiful fake flowers from John Lewis that I love.
- Face pack, hair pack, get your nails did. Always a winner.
- Take yourself on a scenic walk, through a park, by a river, lake or in a woods. There’s nothing like being in nature to help you to feel better.
- Go for a bike ride. I don’t know about you, but something about riding a bike makes me feel like a carefree kid again and just riding for fun, in a leisurely fashion, rather than to travel somewhere, is a great way to do something for yourself.
- Cook a new recipe, something nourishing as well as delicious, I recommend Deliciously Ella for recipes that are healthy and super tasty.
- Take yourself (and a friend?) out for a ‘day of fun’. Hit the shops, visit a museum and have lunch at your favourite restaurant.
- Go to a comedy show. Laughter really is the best medicine
- Listen to a guided meditation or hypnotherapy recording Click Here to get your FREE Relaxation MP3
- Watching funny animal videos on Youtube. Needs no further explanation!
So there you go. A few ideas of taking care of yourself, showing yourself a bit of love and hopefully calming yourself down in the process.
I would LOVE to hear your ideas for self care, please post them in the comments below. If you know anyone you might benefit from this post please send it their way.